Saturday, May 17, 2008

River Front Connection



An arial picture of the river front in Savannah.


Besides using the typical city block, and the garden squares as the central elements to the residential areas. I thought the connection of Savannah to the river is also very important. The one very interesting thing about the river front in Savannah is that there is a row of buildings pretty much at the level of the river, and they sit in front of the bluffs. So you can enter the third floor of a building from the street side, go down two levels, and exit the building on the river side. I am trying to a certain extent to use that relationship to develop the relationship of my site to the river in Columbus.



Obviously, I haven't added any detail to any of these drawings, so the scale is sometimes hard to understand.



One significant problem that I am having is I only have about 1000 units. That only includes the units in the towers. And I haven't done a study on how many units I can get on the riverfront... but the riverfront should mostly be retail oriented. I'm concerned that the density that I am proposing in my thesis, and the density that I have achieved is not quite in sink yet. I in the floor plans I have alot of open, corridor/wasted space... I have been playing with a couple different massing shapes that might become more efficient shapes to achieve a greater density without sacrificing the intent.




No comments: