Sunday, May 4, 2008

Preliminary Modified Mass


Design Considerations

Daylight is a very important factor in creating comfortable spaces. This is something that was missing from the corridors of Le Corbusier’s Unite design. I am determined to make sure that each space, public or private is lit by natural daylight. As I propose to stack the wards of Savannah vertically, to apply the given dimensions literally would create not only a monstrous building in mass, as I have provided example of, but it would not create the quality of space that I think is necessary to the success of a project like this. It is however important to not just disregard the origin of the context, but begin to manipulate and massage some of the contextual ideas inherent in the precedent.

In this theory it is acceptable to change the dimension of the ward. The quality of the ward that is important to translate vertically, is the proportion. To that end, I propose to reduce the proportion of the ward to two-fifths. The ratio is partly based on translating the tything block into the depth of a typical high rise multi-family residential unit, which in my experience in the field is approximately 32’.

Vertically, the proportion will remain the same. The buildings in a ward are typically between 3 and 5 stories, with the predominant height being 3 stories. If I am stacking wards vertically, with a garden in the middle, how am I going to get light to those gardens, and the rest of the spaces. I will study this through a series of 3d massing models.

No comments: